Before starting I want to share with you a phrase that I read a long time ago and I liked: ” that weight loss is the consequence of your training, not the reason “. You should run for pleasure, to fulfill a challenge that you have set yourself, but not only in order to lose weight. Although exercise will help you, what you must modify to achieve weight loss is diet. We are capable of eating many more calories than we burn and it has been shown that exercise alone is not capable of producing significant weight loss, if the diet is not adapted. Also, if you run to lose weight, are you going to give up this sport when you no longer “need it”?
Having said that, we are going to clarify whether or not some eating habits that are usually carried out with the aim of losing weight are correct or not .
It seems a lie, but eating little and starving does not imply weight loss . If you are too restrictive with your diet what you can cause is a deceleration of your metabolism and consequently an increase in the difficulty of losing weight.
This happens by adaptation, it is survival, if we give too little to our body it must survive and consequently it decides to reduce its daily caloric expenditure (basal metabolism) so that you can continue with your day to day. You must not let this happen.
To keep your metabolism agile and active:
- Eat healthy foods often, about every 3 hours.
- After training for more than an hour and a half add an extra snack such as a fruit with yogurt or a commercial recuperator
- Do not eliminate food groups, your meals must be complete, remember “the idea of the plate”: a large portion of vegetables, a quarter of the plate of whole grains (carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice, …) and the other fourth we will fill it with lean proteins (meat, legumes, fish or eggs)
- Perform exercise. Exercise increases the calories we consume throughout the day but something more interesting is that it helps you increase your muscle mass in this way your body will spend more calories daily, which will help you maintain weight.
Eat only fruit and / or yogurt for dinner
Dinner helps you recover and complete your daily energy intake. For this reason, it must be complete, therefore, logically, having only fruit or fruit and yogurt will not provide us with enough nutrients.
Fruit is a healthy and necessary food, but if you put 2, 3 or 4 fruits together in a dinner, the amount of sugar will be excessive and will not help weight loss.
When dinner is not sufficiently calorie-rich or balanced:
- As we mentioned in the previous point, if you go too little, your metabolism slows down, so it is useless to eat little dinner if what you achieve is to reduce your basal metabolism.
- The next morning has a hard time. If in one meal we restrict the intake it is usual that in the next the hunger is greater. Consequently if you eat little dinner the next morning you will be hungrier than usual and it will be difficult to avoid snacking.
- If they have trained just before dinner you will not recover correctly.
Eliminate carbohydrates from your diet
Don’t banish carbohydrates from your meals. Always add some bread, cereals, pasta, rice or potatoes to have enough energy and perform in your workouts.
Choose them whole, so you enrich your diet with fiber, vitamins and minerals, being more nutritious and satisfying.
The amount will depend on various factors such as training, height and height but will at least represent a quarter of the plate to about three quarters.
Salads are a quick resource that we often use for our lunches and dinners. But remember that a salad is a mixture of vegetables and vegetables, varied vegetables, but not a mix of any type of food.
A pasta salad that has macaroni, crab sticks, tuna, cheese, and olives is not a salad because where’s the veggies?
A salad can contain lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, onion, pepper, asparagus, spinach, lamb’s lettuce, beet, … but keep in mind that cheese, tuna, olives and sausages increase the calories on your plate.
If you feel like it, you can eat a complete salad as a single dish such as a pasta salad, to which you can add pasta and some type of protein such as boiled egg or tuna to the vegetable base. But you will do it being aware of what you are using, thinking about the foods you add.
Take foods rich in fat such as avocado, nuts and chia seeds daily.
These are foods that are very fashionable, you have read a lot about them and there are reasons to recommend their consumption. Although each one has its special characteristics, all of them provide us, in addition to a good amount of vitamins and minerals, healthy fats and fiber, this provides a good satiety and consequently a correct regulation of the appetite and avoiding snacking and the consumption of others. unhealthy food.
If you want to lose weight and you have the habit of consuming them, it is correct, what you should keep in mind is that being rich in fat they are caloric foods, therefore keep three things in mind:
- Alternate their consumption and thus enrich your diet every day, it is not necessary that you consume them all each day.
- Small amounts. A handful of nuts and a fruit or yogurt with a spoonful of chia or toast with tomato slices and half an avocado can be a good snack.
- Consume them for breakfast or as a snack to take advantage of their satiating effect and thus you will not have so much desire to snack between meals.
I usually consume smoothies and detox shakes
There are no miracle foods. Detox shakes, green juices, and fat-burning shakes seem like a “discovery” for weight loss, but they may not be.
What about smoothies and juices?
If you like shakes, they are an option to consider in your diet, but you must think about the foods you use to make them and what you want to get from them.
If what you want is to make a snack, make sure it does not contain more than one fruit, the rest being green leafy vegetables. You can complete it with a dairy or a drink, such as:
- A carrot, half an apple, a stalk of celery, two hours of lettuce and a skimmed yogurt
If you want to substitute a meal, you should not use a shake, since getting a complete meal in this way will be difficult and unnecessary. And if you are looking for a feeling of satiety, it will not be a good resource either, in this case the foods that you need to chew provide greater satiety.
Smoothies and smoothies are useful before exercising, since being liquid foods they are easily digested. This makes it easier for you to not feel heavy when going out for a run. You can make a shake before training with:
- Two lettuce leaves, a handful of spinach, half a banana, 4 strawberries and half a glass of rice drink
If you want the detox effect, a shake will not be the solution, the important thing is to have a healthy diet, but you can enrich your diet with antioxidants with shakes such as:
- Half a cucumber, a little, 100g of pineapple and the juice of half a lemon
- Broccoli, two carrots, half a cucumber, the juice of half a lemon and a little stevia
- A bunch of spinach, an apple, a little ginger and water
What will help me lose weight?
Your allies to lose weight
There are no tricks, nor do foods that cause an immediate drop in weight, but there are some that can help you achieve your goal:
- Green leafy vegetables: vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, spinach or chard are especially low in calories and very rich in fiber, so they add volume to your food and will help you feel full with a very low calorie intake.
- Legumes: they are rich in protein and fiber, which fill us up, complete our meal and provide few calories. Although you must watch how the kitchens! Stew and fabada will not be the best options if you want to lose weight, better cook them with vegetables or eat them in a salad.
- Dairy: if we choose skimmed they will help weight loss, performance and health. On the one hand we have fermented milks such as yogurt and kefir that by providing dairy bacteria will help your digestion to be better, regulate your intestinal transit and the sensation of abdominal bloating that is generated throughout the day by the digestion of food . In addition, dairy products provide us with good quality proteins that can be useful after workouts, a glass of drinkable yogurt gives you protein and carbohydrate in a good proportion, you can also consume cottage cheese or fresh cheese beaten with a piece of fruit and you will have a recuperator perfect home.
- Good quality proteins: this nutrient increases the burning of fat in your body, for this reason you must remember to consume them in the main meals in a significant quantity, choosing those foods that provide us with good quality protein and little fat such as lean meats, fish, eggs and legumes.
- Eggs: They provide us with protein of high biological value and the most recent studies certify that they do not cause an increase in cholesterol levels or cardiovascular risks. On the other hand, if we want to lose weight, they are a perfect food: rich in protein, they promote thermogenesis (fat burning) and provide good satiety with a low calorie intake.
- Whole grains: do not exclude them from your plate and less if you are a runner. Choose whole grains (whole grains) better. You can also use foods such as oatmeal in your breakfasts or snacks, thus enriching your diet with fiber and a progressive supply of energy.
- Fruits: take two or three every day. As a runner, it is good for you to have a citrus fruit to take more vitamin C and the other yellow, orange, red or purple like red fruits, to enrich the diet with antioxidants.
Finally, as a general recommendation, avoid or consume very occasionally red and processed meats (such as hamburgers, sausages and fatty sausages), fast food such as pizzas or prepared meals, salty snacks such as French fries and of course, drinks alcoholic and sugary.
With these tips, I hope you start the course with energy and can achieve what you propose and remember that if you need help you can go to the consultation of a nutritionist dietitian for personalized guidance .